"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Tuesday, August 21

Experience

When I was a young adult, a long time ago, my father told me at some point that in order to truly understand something, anything, one must create a framework in which to view it and, hence, to gain some perspective.

The image I created in my head based on that conversation, a conversation that occurred decades ago, was of an actual frame around a piece of art. I imagined in my head what a piece of art looks like unframed. How it reacts to touch and pressure. A canvas will roll; a litho will roll or bend. If a piece of art is old enough, it may crease or crack. Furthermore, without a frame, it is easier to simply roll that piece of art up and stow it for the future. Slip it under the bed or in some other way discard it. Forget about it. Out of sight, out of mind.

All of these happen when that piece of art is unframed.


But put that piece of art in a frame, any frame...give it structure, purpose, direction. It can then be displayed and actively used. Appreciated and admired. Augmented, even. It could be the piece that starts a collection. A true piece of art.

And so it is with experience. Experience in life is crucial in putting structure to life and the issues that pervade daily life. Experience forms the framework on which one can hang relativity and association.

It doesn't matter the circumstances. Whether it is related to issues of work, or personal strife, or faith...every bit of time and energy that can be spent on gleaning experience is worth the effort.

But, the experience is no good unless it is assembled into some type of frame. Just as four pieces of wood, a bunch of nails, and maybe glue and picture frame wire don't make anything just sitting in a bag fresh from Hobby Lobby. Assemble the frame, attach the wire, insert the art, and hang.

That is the impact of experience. Taking the pieces and putting them together to create something worthwhile and admirable.

Not to mention that every level of experience enables us to look back, nod our heads approvingly, and comment with a smile, "Yep, I made it through that. I can make it through this too."

I have never forgotten the imagery instilled in me that day so long ago. My father was wiser that I ever gave him credit for when he was alive.

In my job as a technical analyst and writer, I see even more how important the experience tidbits are, no matter how small. Because each piece of experience is a stepping stone to the next level of understanding. Another nail in the framework of experience, and hence understanding.

And so I believe it is in life....and in faith. Each bit of success, of "light bulb" moments, properly analyzed and assembled, are the stepping stones, the experience, needed to channel us to successful resolution of our issues and solidarity of our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment