"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Friday, March 26

To run solo but not alone anymore

I am a solo runner by nature. I train alone and love it. I have tried running, cycling, and gym workouts with another person and hate it. For me, it is an endeavor best done solo. Something about running, cycling, and working out is not conducive to the purpose of a workout when mixed with the responsibility of socializing with another person (even if that person is a good friend) at the same time. I know others feel exactly the opposite and can't fathom doing it all alone. I am not them. Even though I am a multi-tasker at heart, I like to give 100% of my attention to my training. I don't feel like I have gotten a complete workout otherwise.

A few weeks ago, I realized that training alone is one thing I know I need, but running races alone is not. Well, at least not the long races.

Hence, the birth of a blog. Let me explain.

The intricacies of solo running hit me hardest sometime during my last race, the half-marathon in New Orleans, but have been niggling at me for awhile. The more of these long races I run, the more I begin to see the benefits of being part of more than me.

These benefits are not necessarily all related to just running the race. Sure, I can see how running 10K, 20K, or more in a field of tens of thousands of strange and disinterested "fellow" runners could be made easier and smoother -especially when you hit the wall-by having a group of supporting partners push you past where you think you can go. I had an experience like this during the San Antonio Half where a complete stranger fulfilled this need for me the last 3 miles of the race. I didn't even get her name to thank her. She was my angel that day. How amazing it would have been to have someone who knows me and is on my same path for that one day be able to support me through that tough time.


That said, most of the benefit I see comes from the social end of it. I travel alone to many of these races, both in and out of state. My family has never accompanied me; I like it like that. Each of the members of my family has their own lives to attend to. There is some guilt on my part thinking that if they drop everything and come to cheer me on that I am being selfish.


The truth of it is the travel time and experience are cathartic for me. The trip to any event is a method I use to unwind and blow off steam that is pent up for long periods of time. Even time spent alone in the hotel room is soothing for me. I don't mind the preparations the night before any big race: early dinner, shower, and relaxation in front of the TV where I am the only one who controls what channel is on.


When the social detriment hits me is AFTER the race, particularly if I am spending another night. Many times I do this if the race is more than a few hours away from home. New Orleans was the perfect example. I spent an extra night the night after the race because the drive back home was a long one; one that probably would not go well immediately after running over 13 miles.

I was strangely compelled and but also lonely doing Bourbon St. solo even amongst all those people, some of which were solo just like I was.

The next day is when the thought came to me: what if there are other runners just like me who come to these races alone but would like the option to socialize with other solo runners. Maybe a blog targeted toward other solo runners could tie us together.

At least this is my initial intent. So, if you are a runner (or cyclist or other fitness enthusiast) who craves solo training and solo running, I hope you will help me shape this into something meaningful. The goal is to find a function by which other solo runners like us can meet, or have the option to connect, at the myriad of races that go on all over the country each year.


Until next post....


Solo Runners Unite

No comments:

Post a Comment