"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Friday, July 9

Memories of Austin ~ Free At Last

Day 1 started like any other school day, except that my son got out of bed on the first warning instead of the 5th or 6th. And why not? The day he waited for all year was finally here: the first day of baseball camp at UT.

Another exception was that he was prepared and ready: no delays, no forgotten items, no missing sneakers and most importantly enough, no temper tantrums or manipulations to stay home. It was actually a pleasure to be with him.

Thank goodness we knew our way around. After all, we wouldn't want to ruin the good feeling and preparation by getting lost and arriving late. But, just 12 hours previously, trying to find the Benihana, we were making endless spirals around the same 2 intersections of I-35 North, passing the same landmarks (including the local Walmart) and always ending up on the "wrong" side of the highway. Finally, we figured out why I, the master of driving by braille, couldn't correctly find our way back to the hotel, repeatedly.

The reason? The hopelessly helpful concierge informed us that we are on the north feeder when in fact we are on the south feeder.

When we got to his camp ~ the baseball stadium at UT Austin ~ he did what I expected: distanced himself from me right after check in, sought out his peers, and forgot that I was even there, actually borderline ignored me, as he immersed himself in his new environment. I don't think he even saw me sneak out. I don't think I had to "sneak" out but it does make me feel better to think I did.

At last, I was solo and free. And so was he. I wondered fleetingly as I drove towards the Capitol Building if he would miss me as much I would miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment