"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Tuesday, January 25

Passion For Running Part 8: Challenge Yourself

Suggesting or expecting someone to challenge herself is not quite as easily done as said. Challenge will mean different things, to different people, at different times, through different life phases...all at the same time.

The concept of what constitutes a challenge is subjective. One person's challenge is simply to get off the couch; another's challenge, however, is to run a half-marathon instead of her normal 10K.


A challenge can also be multi-faceted. A cyclist is training to race the MS150 for the first time. She must not only improve endurance, but also must increase muscle strength. Several factors will have to be improved in order for this challenge to be achieved. One or all of those factors may be intertwined with each other.


A challenge may be convoluted. A runner challenges himself to run a faster mile because he has a bet with his running partner; however, when he begins his training and completes his first race, he learns that he likes the race environment, the adrenalin rush that comes with it. At the same time, he becomes increasingly unsure of his ability to attain his goal.


Yes. It's complicated.


So, let's start with the basics: a dictionary definition.


Twenty-three different definitions exist on Dictionary.com for the noun, verb, and adjective forms of the word "challenge". They incorporate phrases like "a contest of skill or strength", "a call to battle", and "an undertaking that is stimulating". They reference uses in military, legal, medical, and even hunting jargon.


I found a quote (http://www.thinkexist.com/) that states it in a simple and pure form. 


"Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew...They're what make you go beyond the norm." ~ author unknown


Looking at it this way, our couch potato friend challenges himself to move past his norm by getting out for a 15-minute walk everyday. The runner, who last year established a norm running only 10K races, sets her challenge to run a half marathon in the new year. Both of them will discover new things about themselves in their pursuit of their goals, and in the process possibly establish new norms, and set bigger and greater challenges for themselves.


The cyclist learns that improving endurance is not as easy as it seems and that it involves changes not only in nutrition, hydration, equipment, training, but also requires an extended length of time to perfect. It will affect her schedule, her shopping, her bank account, possibly her family and work life. Her challenge is subjective, because not every one in her circle of friends will understand her or her chosen challenge, but also multi-faceted because of its affect on various areas of her life. After she achieves her goal, she will have surpassed her norm; set a new norm.

A challenge is not only a contest of strength or skill, but can also be an activity that is stimulating and thrilling. It gets the adrenaline flowing and staves off boredom. It defers complacency and fosters complexity. It can pull you through or push you ahead, past your boundaries, norms, and limits. 

Think of those in the past who have set challenges for themselves, and as result became an inspiration to others. In fact, they became an inspiration for an entire generation. I am thinking specifically of people like Jack LaLane (God rest his soul), Lance Armstrong, Helen Keller, Amelia Earhart. This list is long and distinguished. These individuals were doing nothing more than setting challenges for themselves. The achievement of their challenges not only pushed them past their own norms, but challenged others to do the same, both on an individual as well as group level. Think of the industries that were created and grown from just these four very well known people. Think of the changes to our society that resulted from their personal challenges.

I dare you to think of life without their pursuit of their challenges.

As for training and maintaining your passion for running, you must continually set new challenges for yourself. Some days, my challenge is simple: get out of bed. Once I get that, it may then be to do my scheduled work out. Other days it is to keep up with my diet, especially if I have come off a few days of pizza or hamburgers, watching the number on the scale head north.

On those days where I have overcome those simple challenges, I have my speed goals and I am always setting challenges for myself in my races. Currently I am still challenging myself to do a half-marathon in under 2 hours and a 5K in under 25 minutes. I have been working on those challenges for better than 2 years now. I am making slow progress; every race I get faster and faster, thereby getting closer to completing my challenge. Obviously, I also have to set mini-training goals for myself everytime I hit the treadmill or the road.

I challenge myself to learn new things. One of my recent challenges was to become a stronger swimmer. In so doing, I became a faster runner. Next, I am going to challenge myself to complete a duathlon.

Challenge can come out of necessity as well. When I was struggling with ITB, my trainer and my doctor both suggested cycling. Even though I had never liked cycling, I got the right equipment and kept at it. Going longer distances, at faster speeds. Now, I like it almost as much as running. And, again, it resulted in me becoming a faster and stronger runner.

We all know challenges are not just for sports and athletics. We face challenges all the time in our lives, our families, our jobs. Anything that we experience in life can be a challenge.

In the end, challenges challenge you to stretch your norm, reshape it, whether talking about your passion for running, or your passion for life.

Martin Luther King, Jr. said: "The true measure of a man (woman) is not how he (she) behaves in moments of comfort and convenience but how he (she) stands at moments of controversy and challenges."

How will you stand up? How will you challenge yourself in your passion?

No comments:

Post a Comment