"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Thursday, February 3

Messy Kitty


Mojo
 Aren't cats supposed to be clean? Tidy? Isn't that one of the reasons why "cat people" choose cats over dogs? That is how I always understood it. Along with other characteristics, such as independence and intelligence, cats hold a specific allure for certain people.


The allure of cat ownership has always alluded me. It wasn't the thought of scooping clumps out of litter box (although I did have my reservations about the odor in the house which I heard could be hard to control) because I had always had to do that in one way or another as a dog owner. Someone -- and I was always that someone -- had to clean up the dog poop out of the backyard, even to this day with 3 teenagers in the house. And, of course, sometime in the past two decades, it became a law to clean up after your dog even outside of your property so we dog owners lost our ability to keep the poop out of our lawns by walking the dog in a common area. In that instance, I would rather scoop clumps than walk 1/2 mile with a warm, smelly one wrapped in a plastic bag and stuck in my pocket.


My main problem with cat ownership has always been my refusal to be socially manipulated by an animal for whose sole care I am responsible. In my mind, that animal owes me respect, at a certain level; not the other way around as cats would have it.


An example of a thought I might have had as a cat owner: "I will do the manipulating here, thank you very much. I own you. You can't avoid me. You will come here now for attention."


Unfortunately, those same thoughts are probably floating around in most cats' heads. Which is why I have always been a dog lover. Dogs seek attention without being asked. They honor and adore their humans, even when their humans are not nice to them. If told to go sit down, they will keep coming back for attention. Annoying? Kind of. But, is that their place and do they know it? Yes.


After an entire lifetime of avoiding cat ownership despite incessant requests from my children, we adopted a kitten some time ago. He followed my daughter home from a friend's house one day, or at least that is the story she gave me, and he never left. He was only about 5 weeks old and cute as a cartoon. I could NOT say no.


While he was "growing up", I was patient with him. I tolerated the occasional accidents on the carpet and the smelly gifts hidden in a pile of clothes.  I bit my tongue at the litter all over the bathroom floor. I was even suprisingly calm when I encountered my first hairball, and then even calmer when I found the second one (now I knew what they look like). I rationalized these events: "He is still a kitten. This will all go away once he matures."


Many of these did, either because he grew out of them or I adapted. The accidents and gifts stopped. He probably was satisfied that he had sufficiently marked his territory off, and those markings would show the dog who was boss, and that now he could relax a little. I have not seen another hairball  (note: seen. Doesn't mean they aren't out there, lurking and hardening) since I started feeding him special hairball food.


The only thing that has not subsided is the litter on the floor. At first, I thought maybe it was due to the size of his litter box. After all, it was a kitten-sized one and he had grown quite a bit. I bought a bigger one, with "walls" on it. Surely that would keep the litter in. He is a cat, after all, and will eventually learn to be neater with his efforts to cover up his deposits.


All of my thoughts are, to date, in vain. Mojo continues to be a messy cat. Emptying the clumps ultimately involves a broom and dustpan. It doesn't seem to matter how frequently the box is cleaned, or how much litter is in there, or whether the litter is "fresh" or not.


Under all circumstances, the litter ends up all over the floor.


Messsy kitty. Bad kitty.


After some research, I discovered litter boxes out there that are completely covered. I will have to quit my complaining and go spend some money to appease my need for cleanliness.


The worst thing about having to do that is the cat will not appreciate it. And, to make matters more insulting, I can see the cartoon bubble above his head already: "Stupid human."


Despite these nuisances, they do not outweigh the nuisances of dog ownership. These nuisances are different and require education and adaptability. And, even though he is a messy kitty, there is a certain comfort I get when he comes up to me every morning, while I am making lunches, to greet me with a "meouw" and a face rub. I am still not sure whether that is really a greeting, or a manipulative way to let me know that he is damn hungry and wants his breakfast...now. But, whatever it is in his mind, I will accept his affection and enjoy his company when he is willing, regardless of the litter on the floor, and be thankful for the opportunity to give a stray animal a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment