"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Saturday, August 28

Memories of Austin ~ The Veloway

The next activity on my solo agenda in Austin is exercise, of some type. There is a tiny gym in the hotel, comprising 3 state-of-the-art treadmills, a stationary bicycle, and a scale. My son and I used it last night when we arrived. The equipment served its purpose of allowing us to stretch our legs and get our hearts beating after the long drive from Houston. Much past that, with no weights and obviously no fresh air, it is not my idea of a workout.

I brought my bicycle on this journey with the intent of checking out Austin's version of cyclist-friendly roadway: the Veloway.

The Veloway is a 3.17 mile enclosed loop, created roughly 15 years ago for the exclusive use of cyclists and rollerbladers. That's right: no pedestrians of any kind and, better yet, no cars. The idea was a unique approach to solving the problem, at that time, of safe roadway travel for cyclists, of which there are many in Austin. However, the money spent to make the idea a reality was controversial. The price tag was quite steep for an addition that, to many avid cyclists, would not ultimately resolve the problem of safe roadway cycling but instead would become a tourist attraction or a location for commuters to satisfy their weekend exercise needs.

Here are 2 websites for further information:

http://austin.about.com/od/thingstodooutdoors/p/veloway_bike_trail.htm

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/issue/story?oid=oid:530587


I am intrigued nonetheless. I am no stranger to roadway cycling, although I do my best to stay clear of major thoroughfares. The concentration needed to cycle on a major road, or even some busy sidestreets, is intense enough to detract from the pleasure I experience by just being outside on my bicycle. Actually, it is counterproductive and at times creates stress. Although I don't live in Houston but out in the suburbs, I am fortunate to have access to hundreds of miles of bike trails running alongside most roads in my town of 100,000 people and, in the absence of these trails, the shoulders are usually wide enough to be considered a bike lane.

Yes, I'm spoiled.

Today, I drive about 30 minutes to get there from my hotel in north Austin. Thankfully, there is not too much traffic. The road signs are big and noticable, enabling me to get directly to the out-of-the-way dirt parking lot without engaging my drive-by-braille skills. There are few cars in the tiny parking lot, which leads me to wonder how much action the Veloway sees on a daily basis, or conversely how much action did the planners expect it to see, and where do people park during the busy times. Not my problem today.

Once on the track, I get lost in the calm and the aura created by the ability to ride truly stress-free. The track is smooth, undulating, and natural, engulfed by local flora. There is little noise except for the calling birds and the breeze through my helmet. Few other cyclists are on the track with me. I silently rejoice in this because I always wrangle with the passing concept, particularly if they are traveling at the same speed as me but just happen to be ahead of me. Should I slow down and hang behind them, therefore creating that feeling of lurking, and ultimately allowing them to be the leader? Or should I speed up and pass them, but then have to maintain that faster speed, creating distance and assuming the leader spot?

Yep, these are the dilemmas that plague my conscience!

With that dilemma momentarily off the table, my only concern comes during my first loop as I learn the track. I must concentrate on the turns, some of which are hairpin bordering on switchback, to monitor my speed control through them. Somewhere in the middle occurs a sharp ascent of approximately 35-40 degress. There is a warning sign, which is probably helpful for advanced cyclists, that is mostly ineffective for a burgeoning novice like myself who is inept at switching gears quickly or efficiently. I have to stop a few feet into the ascent, unclip, and walk my bike up. Quite humiliating for me as another cyclist whizzes past me. He has obviously run this many times before and knows where to switch gears in order to maintain the momentum and torque he needs to ascend completely. I re-clip at the top and vow not to make that mistake again.

Second time around, my approach is slow and choppy but I make it to the top without stopping. I give myself a pat on the back.

Somewhere around the third time through the Veloway, I begin to realize I am bored. At the same time though, with the track only 3.2 miles, that means I have only cycled just shy of 10 miles. This is less than half of my normal cycling distance. I wrestle with myself over continuing, bored and restless, through another 3-4 loops of this. Or maybe I should take it to the streets. The rising temperature is a factor in my decision, as well as my lack of knowledge of the area and my distaste for riding on major roads.

I decide to call it quits after the fourth loop.

As I drive back to my hotel, I realize how Austinites, particularly those who use cycling as a main source of transportation or exercise, might not have agreed with the concept of the Veloway in its infancy. I can see how the expense of creating and maintaining it, as opposed to injecting that money into setting up or expanding more functional bikepaths throughout the city, might have been viewed as a waste for the people who live in Austin and are footing the bill. For me, as a frequent visitor to Austin, the Veloway is perfect. But, if I were a resident of Austin who instead needed a safer means by which to get around on my bicycle, for pleasure or otherwaise, the money spent is a wasteful extravagence that only panders to the tourist industry or to those who might use the unique concept of it as a political tool.

In the end, I now have a greater appreciation for the bike paths to which I have access back at home. While I don't use them in my daily routine, they provide more overall functionality and a continually safe environment for those on two wheels.

Back at my hotel, I contemplate my plans for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment