"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Tuesday, September 28

Road Etiquette

You have all read my rants about driving etiquette for both drivers and cyclists. Now I am going to extend that to encompass runners. But, I am going to start it out with a question; a poll of sorts.

How many of you give wide berth to runners on the road?
Or, do you just assume that they have the shoulder, which should be enough space for them?
Or, alternatively, do you get irritated with them being in "your" space and get as close as possible to them as you race by at speed, thinking "I'll just scare them a bit, that will get them to use the pathways (if there are any) next time?"

I am one of those who doesn't use the pathways. They're too curvy and crowded, especially this time of year when the weather is cool and the fair weather runners are out. These are the ones who were huddled in their air-conditioning all summer complaining that it was too hot to be outside running. Instead, I use the road and try to run on road that provides ample shoulder room. There are never any other runners congesting my path, and I can always see my target.

As a runner, running on the road and not the paths, I am always cognizant of my space. More specifically, the lack of it when facing oncoming traffic. I love when there is a shoulder; I run as close to the far edge as possible with my eyes on the cars coming at me. I constantly calculate what that driver is apt to do and based on the result I either maintain my space or move over even more.

I have been paying more attention lately to categorizing the different types of drivers. There are not a lot of drivers who speed past to prove a point; however, there are those drivers who, out of simple distraction or lack of attention, swerve into my path. In the past, I have posted about these crazies. They really are few and far between, thank God.

Most drivers fall in a range between those who give a little more space, as long as there is no oncoming traffic for them, and those who will move into the opposing lane to give as much space as possible. In my experience, do you know which type of drivers are most likely to move over?

The truckers.

Now, I was thinking as I was running today that there could be a few reasons for this. First, they are usually professionally trained. I imagine that part of this training involves heightened awareness of using their space efficiently, and safely. Their eyes are probably farther up the road than the average driver and figuring out how to deal with maintaining their space safely. Or, conversely, they may just see the woman running on the side of the road and want to create more space in which to see her both on the approach and from the "rear" mirrors.

There are all factors, yes. I have another theory. I think it is because I wave to them. Yes, I wave to the drivers who go out of their way to accomodate my space. Actually, I give them a thumbs up, thank you, then a wave.


They always wave back.

Maybe word is getting around on my running routes that a crazy runner, that would be me, is waving to all the truckers. I wonder if they understand why I am waving. When there is a row of oncoming vehicles, I like to see how many of them will move over. I wave at every one that does. I spurn all those that don't. I never have to spurn the truckers.

I hope that maybe my good will to the drivers on the road, who have more power in the situation than I do, will influence these same drivers to transfer their consideration of their space on the road to all other runners and cyclists. I hope that the drivers of cars will take heed from the actions of the truckers. And, I hope that all other runners and cyclists will understand the power they do not have and be grateful for what they can get.

Bottom line: everybody just be courteous and respectful. Progress will be made when the drivers of vehicles stop acting like bullies on the playground, and the runners and cyclists stop testing and teasing said "bullies".

1 comment:

  1. The other reason that truckers move over is because there is no leeway if the runner should trip or fall. You are going to die. As for me, when I run I try to stay off the road as much as possible but sometimes its just not. When I drive I try to give as much room as possible, but that could be because I run. I will say, however, that here has been more than one runner who has scared the hell out of me in the early mornings when it's still darkish and they are running (a) in the road when there is a wide sidewalk they could be on and (b) they are dressed in black. There are times when I only see them at the last possible moment and I think "Shit I could have killed that person, why are they wearing BLACK???" My one complaint about runners in the early am

    ReplyDelete