"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Thursday, December 2

Solo On The Slopes

Before my Thanksgiving trip with my kids to Breckenridge in Colorado, I would have never thought it possible to be solo, or feel solitude, at a major ski resort. My past experiences have taught me exactly the opposite. Endless streams of people in the parking lots, at the lifts, on the trails, and in the restaurants and restrooms. It is hard to escape them.

Crowds just go with the territory when skiing. You learn to be patient because much of your time is spent just waiting.

Remember "The Waiting Place" in Dr. Seuss' book, "Oh The Places You'll Go"?

One of my favorite childhood stories. One that continues to inspire me on a daily basis.

Despite my past skiing experiences, both here in the U.S. and in Europe, I was able to find solitude at Breckenridge.

And, I daresay, a welcome hint of peace.

The solitude happened in inconspicuous places and at random moments, which might have been overlooked had I not been paying attention. Maybe without knowing I was seeking solitude.

On the first day of skiing, Thanksgiving Day, it happened on the trails. The trails were clear of the throngs of people. The reasons for this were clear as well: sub zero temperature and a holiday. Many people, including the avid skiers, avoided the elements and instead opted for their warm homes, surrounded by family and friends and an endless, edible landscape. Why venture out?

I was glad they didn't, because I benefitted from wide open trails and few obstacles except my own wobbly, rusty ski legs and the potential frostbite that threatened to consume one of my fingers. Other than that, I could ski as slowly as I wanted, traverse across the entire trail, and not worry about being blindsided or run over. I heard the wind rushing past me.

Interesting how one's senses adjust when external stimuli are reduced.

The second day was much different. Normally, I would have ridden up the lift with my friend or my daughter. However, my friend had another commitment and my daughter decided not to join in because of a fall she had the day before.

Alone again...with my son and my friend's son. Both of them snowboarders. Believe me, not only is there a division between teenagers and parents, but between snowboarders and skiers. Three is an awkward number in most cases; even more so when one of them is a mom AND a skier.

So, I was solo.

Here is where I discovered that solitude exists despite the lines of people waiting to get on the lift. And, in the ten minute ride to the top of the mountain, I not only reveled in that solitude...but found peace as well.

Peace in the whisper of the wind (as bone numbing as it was) through the pine trees.


Peace in nature's scenery embodied by the waving pine trees, the sparkling snow, the majestic mountains, and the cloud-masked azure skies.


Peace in the silence of the ride far above the activity of the slope below.


Peace in the undulating movement of the skiers pirouetting down the mountain, almost like watching raindrops meander down a dirty windowpane, only much faster.


Peace in the solo run down the slope without the delay of falling snowboarders trying to right themselves.

Regardless of the chaos that can overwhelm us, peace is found in solitude and solitude can be found everywhere. All you have to do is open your eyes, unplug your ears, take the walls down from around your heart, and experience the world around you.

Perhaps Dr. Seuss had it right all along.

"All alone, whether you like it or not, alone will be something you'll be quite alot...and when you're alone there's a very good chance you'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants...but on you will go though the weather be foul...kid, you'll move mountains...today is your day! Your mountain is waiting so get on your way."

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written...thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete