"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Monday, March 21

Driving Solo Part 3: Best Foods

One of the key elements to any successful road trip is the food. And, there are a few schools of thought on how to satisfy that. You can either think it out before departure and load up a cooler and a duffle bag or stop every time hunger or thirst strikes. Obviously, stops are necessary for needs like gas and facilities, depending on the length of the trip and size of your gas tank. But, when you consider that the need for food involves more than just hunger, well... you get the idea.


I have historically chosen the first route, not only because it was easier when traveling with small children, but also healthier and cheaper. Not to mention a time saver.


But, now that I do much of my traveling by myself, my main goal is to keep the momentum going so I combine the two thoughts. I bring some food with me to solve the hunger issue, but I make a stop to take care of the boredom issue. I combine the boredom stop with the gas and potty stop. This way I don't feel like I am wasting too much time.


In the end, it really all comes down to what are the best foods for road trips. If you are driving by yourself, you need food that has simple packaging and is easy to eat with one hand. I keep my food in or behing the front passenger seat, within easy reach. Even though I love the concept of fast food, particularly really beefy burgers loaded with all the toppings or chunky burritos with sour cream and salsa, I think you will agree with me that it is not only messy but dangerous to eat while driving.


The question: what foods are safe, healthy, and affordable?

In my experimenting, I tried to transcend my usual travel food choices and came up with the following list:


  • Pralined pecans
  • Italian wrap
  • water
  • Sonic blast, Oreo
  • Sonic popcorn chicken
  • dried fruit
I purchased the first two items at Buccee's. I love it there ~ so many choices, both healthy and not so healthy. But SO expensive! I rationalized the cost by eating only half and saving the other half for the return trip the next day. It kind of worked. A little. Very little.


On the next trip, trying desperately to reduce my food expenditures and make it healthier, I made a trip to Walmart before heading out of town. On my list were:
  • blueberries
  • yogurt raisin mix
  • sugar snap peas
  • peanut M&Ms
  • water
  • a bottle of wine (for later that night)
  • sunflower seeds
  • Dr. Pepper
The benefits of this method to me were twofold: I was able to maintain a healthy diet on the road and, even though I spent relatively the same amount of money as I would have spent at Buccee's, the food I bought with that amount lasted me through my return trip the next day.

And, of course all the items solved the easy-to-eat category.


Unfortunately, I still stopped at Buccee's on all of my trips; but I realized that if I shopped smartly beforehand  I could rest in the knowledge that it was only for gasoline and boredom relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment