"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Tuesday, March 15

Last Day In Sarasota

Today I decided that I want to live here some day. Probably not right in Sarasota, but definitely on one of the keys. Siesta Key will do.

I checked out of the hotel this morning around 10 and headed south on 41. Somewhere down that way I had seen a restaurant called Dutch Valley Home Cooking. On its marquis was advertised "Belgium Waffles". This made me chuckle for two reasons. First, the technical writer in me knows it is not "Belgium", which is the place and hence a noun, but "Belgian", which is the adjective describing things from Belgium. At least it was correct on the menus, which I found out once I sat down. The other reason was my intrigue over the "Dutch" part. I wondered if it truly was "Dutch" home cooking. Not alot of things beat Dutch pancakes ~ pannenkoeken. Alas, no pannenkoeken on the menu.

When I entered and was seated, it reminded me very much of an IHOP, or even Denny's. Waitresses scurrying around with multiple plates loaded with eggs and sausage. And, of course, endless coffe. After viewing the menu, it was decidedly "un-Dutch" but very much, again, a standard Denny's-like menu, complete with a wide variety of typical diner fare, with breakfast served all day long. The place was populated mostly by grey-haired seniors, travelling in groups or couples. My age group was definitely under-represented. It made me feel very young, for a change.

My server, Martha, was a serious yet efficient senior. I could not help but feel a little sorry for her that, at her age, she had the need to work as a waitress in a diner. I wondered if it was by choice or necessity; I thought probably the latter because I can't see any glamour in that type of work. But, that's just me. I decided I don't want to have to do that when I am her age.

I next drove through Siesta Key. Mainly, I was looking for a nice little cafe on the beach to hang out in the sun for a few hours before I had to be at the airport. Unfortunately, like most of what I saw in the part of the keys I visited over my time down here, all of the waterfront has been consumed by condos and other sorted vacation rental properties. I was disappointed; however, it got me thinking about future business opportunity to create something similar to what the Dutch did on the North Sea. There, condos are set off from the water's edge, separated many times by a main thoroughfare, and the seasonal restaurants, which are constructed every Spring and de-constructed every Winter (talk about reusable buildings!), run along the usable beach front for miles.

On a whim, I pulled into the marina to sit on the deck at Marina Jack's. Shock Top on tap and crystal sky. I got there only slightly before the lunch crowd, so had my pick of tables. Of course, I went for the one closest to the water and fully sunlit, and next to what looked to be an Amish family of three. I had seen quite a few Amish families over the past days, cycling and walking among the other tourists. In that same vein, I had also seen what I think were Mormon families, or at the very least some type of other religious or cultural group judging by the prairie dress and head covering that the women of the group wore. Anyhow, I became immediately conscious of my low-cut tank top and my tight jeans. That uncomfortable feeling was about to flow over into my drink order until I noticed that Mr. Amish was drinking a beer as well. I briefly tried to recall my knowledge of the Amish and thought most of their cultural more was to shun society. How can they shun society if they are here living it up in Sarasota like one of us? I guess maybe it is OK if they are riding bicyles instead of renting cars. I was a little self-conscious when I pulled out my laptop. Maybe they were judging me as well....

My final stop was the Ringling Museum of Art. Now, I have been to many art museums, both in the U.S. and in Europe. I couldn't imagine how this could top anything I have already seen. Jaded? Yep, I fully admit it. But, I was pleasantly suprised at a few things. First, the courtyard area was beautiful and more like the museums in Europe than anything I have seen here in the U.S., combining the experience of learning and viewing distinct pieces of art with the relaxation of a garden.

I also loved the mosaic-style flooring in the courtyard. I couldn't remember seeing that type of mosaic anywhere before.

I decided to take a guided tour of the museum. The tours were always a must in the cavernous European museums and the tour guides always had interesting historical anecdotes to augment what my eyes saw. I expected nothing less here...but I was unfortunately quite disappointed. Maybe I got the wrong tour guide. Her focus was on how the piece had come into the collection, not anything intelligent or insightful about the piece or the artist. Worse yet, in one of the galleries she didn't even know the artists for the pieces. When I asked the question, she stumbled over a response that had something to with the recent renovation of this gallery and they hadn't yet put up that information. Excuse me, but aren't you the tour guide? Needless to say, I went solo after that.

A few galleries down, there was a piece, the subject of which was Pieterskirk in Leiden. Can't remember the artist. However, the greeter who had helped me out when I first walked in came over and made a comment about it, which included that he had been in that church. I looked at him with a big smile and replied, "So have I!" He was taken a bit aback, but kept on and gave me some information that I didn't already know, and then continued with a few other pieces in the gallery. Now, that is what a tour guide is supposed to do, augment what my eyes see with something my brain doesn't already know. I commented to him about the tour guide I had already dismissed. He offered in explanation that she was new there. I decided that, when I retire, I want to be a tour guide in a museum. So, I guess I better start studying my art history.

I headed to the airport after that, even though I was quite early. Fine with me, I just did what I usually do and sat in the bar with my beer and my book, interspersed with alot of people watching.

Feeling relaxed and fulfilled today. But, planning my next adventure. It never ends.

1 comment: