"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Thursday, April 22

Finding the Zone

I never appreciated the extraordinary concentration needed to swim. Lose the concentration on breathing and stroke and you inhale water, flounder, and sink. Believe me, I tried it out and it's true. I scared the lifeguard again; a little less this time though because I think she recognizes me now. I have so much more respect for what Mike Phelps and his kind do.

And this is just freestyle. I cannot even imagine what this is like for the butterfly.

This level of concentration is so unlike running and cycling, even skiing to a certain extent(assuming you are on a fairly broad trail with few other skiers). In those you find your zone, press autopilot, and go on your way while indulging your thoughts.

Is there a "zone" in swimming? Or is the "zone" different?

If there is one, I want to find it; not in the way of the "beyond" in Bed, Bath and Beyond (still haven't found that one, probably because I haven't been trying . But mostly because it is unattainable).

There is always a zone.

Yesterday, I was still unable to complete 1 50 meter lap in freestyle before having to revert to breast stroke, of which I completed 12 laps. I do believe it's all in the breathing. I spent some time googling this morning and found a few pointers, which I will put into practice tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment