"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Monday, April 19

A New Challenge


New challenges can be disconcerting and scary, filling one with fear of the unknown. Most of these fears are irrational. With luck, they resolve quickly. Others are more entrenched, requiring more work, practice, and concentration. I experienced both of these as I headed to the Natatorium for my first swim. I wasn't paralyzed with fear per se, only inundated with irritating thoughts that kept my mind busy as I drove.

These were only process oriented:
  • I worried about the earplugs I had bought and if I would be able to get them to work properly. The last thing I need is swimmer's ear.

  • I worried about looking lost getting to and through the locker room. This was compounded by my dislike of locker rooms.

  • I realized that I only had one pair of flip flops - the ones I was wearing. Oh well, I would have to wear them out wet. Can you hear the squeaking?

  • I wondered as I checked the outside temperature - 60 degrees - if I would freeze when I left after swimming because I was only wearing a t-shirt and shorts. Damp skin can do that.
New challenges presented themselves once I got inside:

  • I couldn't figure out how to operate the lockers. The new fangled design took me about 2 minutes to figure out. Thankfully the moment of eureka happened before I conceded to leave my bag sitting on the bench during my swim.

  • I was happy that the showers were idiot proof so my brain could take a rest.

  • I realized I had forgotten to bring a plastic bag to put my wet stuff in after I swam.
All of these minor setbacks were one time occurrences, which I will not have to worry about next time I go. However, in their wake will come the second wave.

General George Patton once said:
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
I am sure this was plucked from a speech where he went on to give an idea of how long and how much work such a victory might take. Well, after my swim today, it is clear my victory over this current challenge will take plenty of time.

I have spoiled myself the past few years with my hyper-focus on running, then on cycling. Complacent, possibly arrogant, I pump myself up; don't tolerate any weakness because I have figured out how to extend and endure. No wonder I can run 10, 12, 15 miles and make it look like nothing. Cycling is the same for me. I usually only do about 20 miles for lack of time to do more; I probably could put in 50 because I have been focusing on it. I have learned how to pace myself, how to moderate my stance and posture, and, most importantly, how to breath correctly. The key: the air is always there for me to breath. I just have to figure out how to get enough of it. If only I could somehow apply this principle to my Achille's Leg!

Swimming is a whole different playing field. OK, duh? Land, water. But it is so much more than I ever realized. I went in thinking I could plow through 10 laps (50 meters each)~half breast stroke, half freestyle~ just like I would plow through a 10 mile run. There's that arrogance rearing its contorted head.

What a suprise I got.

My breast stroke was almost a no-brainer. I could do that forever.
It was the freestyle that presented the greatest challenge. I had to switch to breast stroke after only 25 meters. My limbs kept moving even as I gasped for air. My brain had to intervene and remind my limbs that water does not work in the lungs the same way air does. My lungs wanted more air but it was only water that was so close. My limbs continued to be stubborn but finally relinquished. I think the lifeguard was grateful when that battle ended.

In the end, I did about 65 meters total of freestyle and 450 meters of breast stroke.

Which brings me to my new challenge: to improve my swimming enough to be able to do 500 meters of freestyle without that winded feeling. I know this means I will have to continue swimming even after my IT Band heals. This is not a bad proposition. The Natatorium is a beautiful, new facility; it is curiously not crowded. It's cheap and the staff is pleasant to deal with. Better than all, it appears well-ventilated so my chlorine allergy will not get the best of my sinuses. {Check out the pictures. I promise there was no one in the locker room when I took that picture. It would be too weird if there was!}

I see the addition of swimming to my training regimen as only a good thing in several ways: I can conquer another sport; I can improve my overall fitness because of the cross-training; and I can possibly come closer to someday participating in a triathlon.

All of which will contribute to some small personal victory (-ies). Thanks, General Patton!


No comments:

Post a Comment