"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Tuesday, April 20

Self-Absorbed at the Gym

What is so difficult about maintaining awareness of your surroundings? Or about respecting others' space, particularly in a situation where that space is close and it, as well as the things within it, has to be shared?

I ask this question selfishly, I guess. I went to the gym this morning. I was a little early, so it was more crowded. Hence, I needed to chisel out my space and defend it valiantly without seeming rude or possessive. Not an easy task.

I was using one particular machine in my routine. After two activities I moved down about 30 feet to another machine to complete my routine. Back to the first one, three times. Towards the end of the routine, one man came up and took the second machine (e.g. put his towel and water down to mark it as "his") and then walked about 10 feet away to talk to a friend. He actually moved my stuff out. Now, granted, I did not have my towel or water at that particular machine, but my weight was still there waiting.

Now, I was not so pissed off about him usurping "my" machine as I was that he usurped it and then proceeded to walk away from it.

I could have resolved this in a number of ways. Obviously, I could have just gotten in and completed my routine regardless of his stuff there. Not sure what effect that would have had on him and his friend. Anger, annoyance, possibly casual irritation not even strong enough to draw him from his conversation. I could have walked up to him and his friend and browbeat him for being an ignorant, selfish cad. After all, I am aware of people using machines. Before I begin to use one I always look around me to see if someone might be using it. Even past that, I have my routine in my head and keep track of the machines I want to use before I even get to them. If I can treat others with respect, why can't they return the favor?

My last option, wimpy as it may seem, was to just quickly alter my routine and use a different machine. Much to my chagrin, I chose this route. I did another exercise that got me the same result with less conflict. However, I think my choice might have been different if he had stolen my machine early on in my routine as opposed to when he did, which was at the tail end of it.

This is not the first time this has happened to me at this gym. I have even had several circumstances where the trainers have taken my spot, which was clearly marked with my towel and water. I am unsure whether it is this gym or whether it is just self-absorbed, rude people in general. I lean toward the latter. Either way, is it any wonder that I times I feel invisible when there?

The moral of this story for all gym-goers or anyone else who shares space and things where both are limited: move out of your world; be cognizant of those around you; respect everyone's space.

No comments:

Post a Comment