"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Thursday, May 6

In Retrospect: Time Off

The weather is beckoning me to cut my recovery short. The crystal blue skies and the still-somewhat comfortable weather draw my eyes, my heart, and indeed my soul out of doors. My running shoes are calling me; my bike whimpers in the corner of the garage. I'm sure that by the time I use them next week I will have to wipe off dust and fill the tires.

I feel quite jealous of those people that are on the road doing what I long to do. But, I think I've mentioned that at least once in the past four weeks.

As the time gets closer for me to start running and cycling again, as excited as I am to be fully active, I can't help but worry about re-injury. To avoid it, I have to pay close attention to my form, my speed, my intensity, and my mileage. I got an email from a local running group which I hope to run with on occasions. Their mileage: up to 7.5 miles. I don't think I will be running with them any time soon because I have to keep my starting mileage at around 2 miles per run, 3 times per week. Form and intensity will be very important. I read a great article on form that I will share next week.

Cycling won't be quite the same issue. I never experienced IT band issues until after I had them in running. Even then, it wasn't until later in the injury progression that I started also feeling the effects of the injury while cycling. In fact, early on I used the bike to keep active even when the doctor was telling me to stop running. I think HE even told me to use the bike as a replacement.

Many good things have come from this time off.
  • I have gotten so much done. Things that before hung around on my to-do list for weeks are done in a day, or two. Strangely enough, the list seems to have continued to expand and the projects on that list are much more time intensive; but all the minor irritating stuff is gone.
  • With so much more getting done, I do not feel so pressured to be completing them when the kids came home from school, which has led to more productive family time.
  • I conquered a weakness ~ swimming ~ and found that I somewhat enjoy it. Once in awhile.
  • I gave all my gear a breather. It will last a little longer now.
  • I lost that frenetic rush that came from juggling my daily workout into my chore list.
  • I gained more perspective.

It remains to be seen whether I can accomodate the above once I start running because I realized that, while physical activity in general is a necessity for me, somehow the running and cycling exacerbate that to an obsession. With only gym workouts and swimming on the possible menu of activities, I found myself much less obsessive about getting it done. This is one of the reasons, I think, for my weekly workouts shrinking to 2, or 3, instead of 4 or 5.

The exertion that comes from running and cycling is a pseudo-obsession, if there is such an animal. Over the last four weeks, I could not duplicate that same feeling with either swimming or a lengthy workout in the gym.

The other thing I noticed was how I viewed the success or failure of my days. Normally, I start my days out with a list of things I have to accomplish. Pre-ITB-DL, that list ALWAYS included a workout incorporating either running or cycling. How many items I plowed off of that list during the day did not matter unless I had gotten my run/cycle in. I felt like a failure if I didn't. However, during my recovery, that feeling of failure was much less intense. It took mental massage on my part; but, I found a way to feel successful without getting the intense workout in.

Will I be able to retain the ability to get to that feeling of success? It sure took a lot of pressure off, which probably fed into some of the other bullet points I mentioned above.

With my vacation coming to an end, I look forward to my next challenges and vow to take it easy on myself, both physically and mentally. I don't want to land here again too soon, at least not until I achieve more. I just hope I can retain the balance that I have found the past four weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment