"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Sunday, May 23

New Plan for New Growth

When things don't go the way you plan, it's time to make a new plan. This is the only way to get results. It's the only way to grow.

And I want results. But I have to get creative. I can't run as much anymore because ITB is here for the long term. The pain, the tightness, the constant search for the perfect running posture and quick fixes for the pain. I will run with my ear to the ground for tips and tricks that I missed.

Or, maybe I'll create something new and hence inspire the running world and all my fellow ITB constituents with the cure to ITB .

Until then, it's time for a new plan. It's time to branch out to new disciplines to replace the benefits lost from running. But how?

Cycling is good, and so is swimming. Hey~ that means I might be on my way to a triathlon. Although I alot of friends and acquaintances ask me about this possibility, I have to say no, not this year.

I tried two new activities this week. The first was yoga.

I've never done yoga. Pilates, yes. Yoga, no. I thought they were similar, in both motions and emphasis on breathing. I was right, and wrong. They both focus on controlled motion of multiple muscle groups. They both require specific breathing in order to get the maximum benefit out of the movement. Both provide enough activity for someone to leave breathing heavily and feeling sore. However, yoga is more serene, quiet, and relaxing. It also incorporates a contortionist's dreamworld, with twisted limbs and balancing acts on single leg. Twisting body parts that are not meant to twist that way, and straightening parts that are not meant to bend. All the while breathing, breathing, breathing.

As I was trying to perform the motions of the instructor, I couldn't help but think about the new naked yoga movement going on in NYC. I couldn't imagine doing the downward dog, or many of the moves, without clothes on. But, the result of trying it was that I want to try more. In fact, I Binged it and will keep you informed.

Also, this week, I tried a Turbo Kick Box class. I used to do kickboxing several years ago and really liked it. I liked the control that was involved in getting the kicks and the punches to look right. I hated the idea of looking like a "wimpy" girl trying to throw punches and kicks.

But, like I said, it was quite a few years ago. And it was just kickboxing. Now, notice the "turbo" in front. Little did I conceptualize that meant high speed. Duh! It was like aerobics, kickboxing, and a dance class rolled into one and keeping time to music at the speed of The Chipmunks. It reminded me of why I gave up aerobics, opting instead for step. I am an uncoordinated goon who gets confused with my right and my left, especially in high speed, complicated routines. Half the time I was standing there, one or two moves behing, kicking when they were punching, looking and moving left while the rest of the small class was moving right. I emphasize small so you understand that I couldn't hide in the crowd.

Bottom line, I will not be returning to TKB, unless my gym offers KB without the T (sort of like ordering a Whataburger) but I don't see that happening any time soon. I did get a good workout during the parts of the simpler routines that I could keep up with. Most of my workout came at the end when she had us lunge and squat across the room and back. Now that's the type of work out I can handle!

My plan is coming together. I may have to reduce my running but in that reduction will come exposure to many other things. From that exposure will come new growth, new opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment