"You have been purchased, and at a price. So glorify God in your body." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:20

Saturday, May 15

The Challenge of Pain

Life has been a barrage of chaos. That is my excuse for not posting. I refuse to use "busy" because it sounds too cliche that way. Really though...when I wasn't solving the problems of the world of Bluth, I was out exercising. 5 days this week. Whoohoo!

Unfortunately only 4 miles of running. I wanted to take it easy on my Achille's leg, in the hope that a gradual return to over-exersion would keep the IT band away. I was wrong.

No luck. It kicked in after the first mile on the first day. There I was, again, getting excited about the possibility of running like I used to: with no concern about pain. And then I started feeling the familiar tightness, which turned into the stabbing pain. This time it started radiating into my kneecap. I was glad for the walking part at the end of the 2 miles.

The rest of the week I cycled, worked out with free weights at the gym, and did a cycle/swim on Thursday.

Took Friday off. Not because I wanted to but because it just happened that way. Instead, I spent the whole day shuttling Mojo the cat back and forth from downtown Houston so he could get neutered for a reasonable fee. I'd say $50 vs. $250 is a good reason to call off exercise for the day.

This morning, I attempted to run 2.5 miles on the treadmill and the same thing happened after about the first mile.

So, I clearly have a problem that is here to stay. Not a problem, but a challenge. A challenge to work through and beyond. A challenge that I will not give up without a fight because I can't imagine life without running.

A challenge that I can't face alone anymore. I can't run solo through it anymore because it is not getting resolved that way.

2 comments:

  1. Damn it all - if you could come to Switzerland I could use a running partner. Someone to get my arse back in gear.

    I'm sure you know this but I'll put it out there. Maybe if you increase your miles on the bike for awhile - it will help the leg pain when you run. I know that when I was biking alot it improved my running and helped strengthen my knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this!

    If I could come to Switzerland, the altitude and mountains would kill me. I would have to do some major re-acclimation.

    A note on the cycling - it is a major part of my routine just for that reason. It is purported to strengthen the total leg muscle and ultimately benefit runners. Right now, I have to do it if I want to keep up with the cardio at the level I need.

    ReplyDelete